To many of my clients, selling a home during the holidays can be a stressful, painful, or even downright unproductive experience. They have some valid concerns:
“Our phone will ring all through Christmas dinner!”
“We won’t able to decorate the house like we usually do!”
“Earlier, you said the best time to list is during the spring and summer, when almost ALL home sales happen!”
However, while many of these were true in years past, the way real estate is conducted and the way people buy homes has shifted dramatically in recent years.
So, I have put together a list of reasons why it’s actually a great idea to list a home during the holidays:
- Serious buyers have few houses to choose from during the holidays, and less competition means more money for you!
- People who look for a home during the holidays are more serious buyers.
- Houses show better when decorated for the holidays.\
- Since the supply of listings will dramatically increase in January, there will be less demand for your specific home. Less demand means less money for you…
- You can sell now for more money. We can certainly provide an option for a delayed closing or extended occupancy until early next year.
- Buyers are more emotional during the holidays, so they are more likely to pay your offering price.
- Some people must buy before the end of the year for tax reasons.
- Buyers have more time to look for a home during the holidays than they do during the work week.
- January is traditionally the month for employees to begin new jobs. Since transfers can’t wait until spring to buy, your house must be on the market now!
- Your house can still be on the market, but you’ll have the flexibility to limit showings during the six or seven days during the holidays.